Thursday, April 25, 2013

What "home" means to my Pops

I received so many messages/texts/emails last night about how much yesterday’s post about “home” resonated with people – and it made my SO HAPPY!  It means so much to me that other people are working through these same things – or did at one time.  We have to put on a brave face so frequently (and often for good reason) and sometimes it feels good to be able to say “Uhg! I’m so glad you said that! Me too!”

I wanted to take a minute to share one message.  It’s from my Pops who is not struggling with these ideas now, but did at one time, and was thoughtful enough to share with me how he dealt with them.  I’ve read his email over and over again (it makes me the-good-kind-of-cry every time) at this point and will keep it forever. I love you, Pops.
Hi Drew!
 I just finished reading your latest blog.  That part about “home” resonated with me.  While I have not been isolated from “home” for as long as you have by time and distance, there were times when I was traveling extensively for NASA that I would miss home. To me home is always associated with family. So what worked for me when I got those lonely feeling was to go home in my mind.  I would think of the fun times we had as a family, think of individual family members, or certain activities we had enjoyed together, the visits (in the case of my parents and brother), the good stories, even sometimes the sad ones too. If you’re away from it, home is never where you are, it’s where your family is. And you can go there any time in your mind and know that while they are not with you physically, they are always there for you, will love and cherish you, and miss you as much as you miss them. Through all the good times and the bad, your family will always be “home” for you. 
I love you so much, peanut – keep your spirits up.  Pops
 
Keep your spirits up, ninjas!
Keeping you posted,
-          d

2 comments:

  1. This made me tear up too, Drew! How beautiful your relationship with your grandfather is. I, too, struggle with the feeling of loneliness in regards to my family--we're all in this together though. Home is, like your Pops said, where your family is...but it is also where your second and third and fourth families are too! I've been blessed to have good friends out here on the east coast--and I know you have those special relationships too. Feed them. Protect them. And share your life with them--they will help make your home away from "home" all the bit warmer. Oh, and if you ever need a "transplant" vent sesh...feel free to stop by Hoop's and my apt on the UES. Our door is always open...and we usually have ice cream too. ;) Hang in there chica! Youre stronger than you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, KMY :) I'm always down for some ice cream (not to mention I would love to catch up with you :). I hope you're doing great!

      Delete