Thursday, April 18, 2013

Myrtle Beach Here I Come!... and this pig.

I feel like such a grown up because I’m going on a girl’s weekend trip!  Paid for by yours truly (well, and my friend Ellie’s parents’ time share) – just like they do in Something Borrowed.  They go on weekend trips.  And I was always so excited to be able to do it too when I was a 20-something – just like Rachel & Monica and Ted & Robin and Darcy & Rachel but NEWSFLASH: YOU DON’T HAVE ANY MONEY WHEN YOU’RE 25!  At least, this one doesn’t.  But that’s ok because we got creative and we’re doing it and I’m PUMPED! Only real cost was airfare and we found tickets for $180 round trip– HOLLA! The problem (we- the girls of the girls trip- realized upon further research) is the additional fees including:
 a $10 “booking fee” (unavoidable).  You can look longingly at your $180 ticket online as long as you want, but if you want to book it – 10 bucks, baby. 
An $8.99 “passenger usage” fee (I’m very curious what they will be using us for). 
A $10 boarding pass printing fee (I will do a chalk rub of my boarding pass if I have to.  I will provide my own chalk from the dollar store).
A $50 fee to reserve a seat (an online selection which I ignored and am prepared to stand if that is what this leads to). 
A $35 checked-bag fee (no, thank you) plus a $30 carry-on bag fee. Um, No.  Don’t fear, we found a loophole.  You have to pay for a carry-on bag, but you are allowed a free purse. Ding! So I’m planning to bring a large beach bag containing every single thing I need for the trip with a small purse shoved inside it.  And if I get in any trouble I plan to put on a pained face and ask them to please ‘not discriminate against big-bagged ladies.’  I hope that’ll make them uncomfortable enough to let it go.
Do anyone else’s “big trips” look like this?  Were you surprised when you had no money come $25?  I hope I’m not the only one.  I don’t think I am.  NBC lied about this stage of life.  All that said, I kind of like the adventure of avoiding the fees.  Chalk rubs, giant bags and standing on a plane are so much more exciting than… you know… tickets, carry-on’s and sitting.  It’s going to be great.  Just great.  I can’t wait.

Oh!  I forgot to tell you!  I ate a pig’s eye last weekend for $40! Here’s the pig, but more on that later.



I’ll keep ya posted,
- d

No comments:

Post a Comment