Thursday, March 14, 2013

Choose Joy! Dr.'s Orders.

Y’all, I have a lot to say.  I won’t say all of it, don’t worry (but I’ll probably say it all to Danielle sitting next to me and then she’ll be sad that I didn’t just say it all to you).
I watched (half of) a documentary last night called Happy and it’s got my wheels-a-turnin’.  I did fall asleep in the middle of it (because I was so darn happy) but I think that it's a good thing I did because just that amount of information has given me enough to marinate on for a couple days.  It explores what makes people happy in cultures around the world, basically with the argument that once basic food and necessities are accounted for, money/materials have little to do with people’s happiness levels.
This isn’t necessarily a unique concept.  We hear that kind of stuff all the time: “live simply”, “slow down”, “money can’t buy happiness” … and while all of that may be true (and probably is in my opinion), researchers and psychologists have been getting a bit more scientific in the last 20 years.  Apparently, we’ve been studying the negative end of emotional and psychological disorders for hundreds of years, but the scientific study of what makes people happy is relatively new.
For instance, take a look at this image of this child discovering bubbles for the first time:



Just kidding, there was nothing related to that in the film, but isn’t he just so CUTE!? Ohmygosh he’s so cute.
I won’t summarize the whole thing- you should just watch it.  But something that I found particularly interesting, and very relevant to my current situation and mindset, was this concept of baseline happiness.  This is the idea that we are all born with a “base level” of happiness (like literally, we’re born with certain chemical balances, hormone balances, in our genes, nothing-you-can-do-about-it baseline happy) and our bodies will always bring us back to this equilibrium over an extended period of time.  That accounts for 50% of our overall happiness (which is a whole stinkin’ lot).  After that, it’s up to us – our attitude and the decisions we make.  We can increase our happiness level, or of course do the opposite by preventing ourselves from reaching our equilibrium.  Sound familiar?  It’s scientific proof that we can (and should) choose joy!  That choice matters!  It 40% matters!  (The other 10% is current circumstances… it’s too much, just watch the film).  But it matters.  A lot.  And what a comforting feeling knowing that even if we’re too tired/defeated/hopeless to make that choice, our bodies are naturally going to take us back to our baseline.  Back to a place where we can make that choice again.  In that way, we are incredibly resilient naturally.
Once you’re there, there are tons of ways you can decide to increase your happiness.  Based on the research, the most effective thing is connection.  Whether it’s with friends, a lover, or family, connection with people tends to be the most efficient way to increase your level of happiness (not surprised, right?  People rock).  There are many more: exercise, varying your routine, a term they call “flow”, confidence in the workplace, just to name a few.  But it all begins with the choice to be happy.  Love that.
I’m going to choose to watch that bubble baby a few more times and then see where the day takes me.
I’ll keep ya posted.  Love y’all.
- d


P.S. - That didn't do it for ya?

Check out this hospital window-washer who dresses up like Spiderman to cheer the kids up.




Or this this little boy who's obviously having the best day of his life.



Or this photo of the happiest animal alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment